Sherry is an experienced corporate and commercial lawyer with extensive in-house experience in the banking/financial services sector.
Former firms & in-house roles:
Scotiabank; Stewart McKelvey
At Caravel Law, Sherry drafts and reviews term sheets, financing agreements, lending services agreements, mortgage acquisition agreements, mortgage servicing agreements, regulatory disclosure, software agreements and website terms related to financial products, professional services agreements, non-disclosure agreements, commercial lease agreements, and various outsourcing agreements.
Sherry has extensive experience in the provision of legal and regulatory advice on a wide variety of banking services including mortgages, term loans, credit cards, and lines of credit.
Sherry advises on anti-money laundering legislation, consumer protection, and privacy matters. She has experience in the review of marketing, promotional, contest, and sponsorship related material for various types of media, including print, TV, radio, digital, and social media.
Sherry is also well versed in OSFI Guideline B-10 (Outsourcing of Business Activities, Functions and Processes), and has reviewed, drafted and advised on a broad range of outsourcing agreements for federally regulated institutions.
EDUCATION University of New Brunswick, LL.B. (1998) (Dean’s List) Memorial University of Newfoundland, B.Comm. (1995)
- In-house engagement for a bank to assist with the drafting and negotiation of a variety of contracts, including a significant number of outsourcing agreements impacted by OSFI Guideline B-10;
- Multi-year in-house engagement for a mortgage origination and servicing company, to assist with a variety of legal matters, including privacy, CASL, regulatory research and disclosure, and the drafting and negotiating of a variety of contracts including various investor agreements related to residential mortgages and commercial mortgages, mortgage broker agreements, triparty agreements, commercial leases, non-disclosure agreements, origination platform agreements, warehousing agreements, supplier agreements (including with optional services providers), and agreements related to mortgage analytics;
- Assisted a service provider in the mortgage industry, for a number of years, with the drafting and negotiation of their various Master Services Agreements with financial institutions and the various SOWs related to their many service offerings, as well as assisting in the drafting and negotiation of various standalone service agreements to cover certain services;
- Assisted a large retail company with agreements related to their various forms of payment processing, as well as an agreement related to the supply of financing services to the customers of the retail company;
- Assisted new fintech companies with service agreements, privacy policies and website terms and conditions.