Alex is an IP, IT, and Commercial Lawyer with extensive experience in the pharmaceutical and technology sectors. Alex is a registered Patent and Trademark Agent.
Former firms & in-house roles:
Mylan Pharmaceuticals; Gilbert’s LLP; Blake Cassels & Graydon LLP
At Caravel Law, Alex works with a number of clients on commercial and intellectual property legal matters, including advising on contractual terms and negotiations as well as patent and trademark protections.
Alex provides clients with strategic advice and opinions surrounding intellectual property, regulatory, competition, and trade law issues in the pharmaceutical and technology sectors. Alex has experience in handling licensing and contract work, including offshore manufacturing, clinical research, and pharmaceutical licensing agreements.
Previously, as an in-house lawyer, Alex analyzed patent groundwork data for potential market entry, risk assessment and mitigation, competitive intelligence, and other significant and strategic purposes. Alex has supported patent litigation, advised on settlements and non-contentious licensing, and assisted government relations and policy development functions.
- Adjunct Professor at Ryerson University
- Adjunct Professor at University of Toronto
- International Patent Law: Cooperation, Harmonization and an Institutional Analysis of WIPO and the WTO
- Calculating Monetary Remedies in Intellectual Property Cases in Canada
- Managing the portfolio of hundreds of trademark registrations and applications for a major Canadian charity;
- Advising on brand selection and clearance, and obtaining trademark protection in Canada, the United States, and abroad, for dozens of startup companies in a wide range of industries and services;
- Advising on brand selection and clearance, and obtaining Canadian trademark protection, for a major automotive company;
- Advising on trademark licensing issues for companies in a wide range of industries and service fields;
- (Advising on opposition proceedings and negotiating a worldwide settlement for Canadian information technology company in a dispute with a global telecommunications company)
“Alex Stack is an amazing lawyer! He helped us with our trademark application. 10/10 would use again!”
– Steven, Conference Management
“I’ve had a great experience working with Alex Stack. Your rates are also great!”
– Rohan, Education
“Alex is patient and takes the time to answer all my questions and concerns.”
– Glendy, Graphic Designer